To assess the use of online social network analysis in the detection, prevention and/or prosecution of crimes across Europe and examine grounds for establishment, costs, density, on-going investment, amount of staff, crime solving rate using these techniques.
P1RuG, P2UCLAN, P3UL, P4LSC, P5BBU, P6UiO, P7ULE, P8LIF, P9UU, P10UGOE, P11USFD, P12LUH, P14FMUNIBA, P15UoM, P16UNIVIE, P17MU, P18ECU, P19INTERPOL
Description of work
Task 6.1 Identifying and classifying online social network analysis techniques being used for crime detection
One form of surveillance is to create maps of social networks based on data from social network sites such as Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, as well as from online traffic data analysis. This sub-task aims at
- making an inventory of public and private social network analysis systems;
- identify the different techniques used;
- identify the technical setup of each of the systems, including potential of interoperability and location of data storage.
Task 6.2 Identifying grounds for establishment; set-up costs and on-going investment; and amount of staff
This sub-tasks reviews the legal and political grounds for establishment given at the time when the particular social network analysis system was set up and compares this to grounds given for the retention (and/or extension) of these systems.
- Identifies the set-up and on-going costs of each system.
- Identifies the amount of staff employed by the private or public sector to run the systems.
Task 6.3 Identify degree of automated decisions involved in online social network analysis techniques
- Identifies different decisions based solely on automated processing of data
- Identifies different decisions based partly on automated processing of data
- Identifies extent of human effort necessary.
Task 6.4 Identify the degree of interoperability between online social network analysis techniques
- Identifies interoperability situations between different public social network analysis system
- Identifies interoperability situations between public and private social network analysis system
- Identifies the legal and policy protocols followed in the process of data sharing between social network analysis systems.
Task 6.5 Impact Assessment following criteria established in WP3
- Carry out an overview impact assessment of online social network analysis techniques based on the criteria established in WP3